A Gift of Impact
Forwarded this email by a friend? Subscribe here.
It’s been a weird year, that’s for sure. But when you step back, there is much to be thankful for, and in this Thanksgiving issue, we have a gratitude attitude. So here is our very FWIW list of things we are thankful for this Thanksgiving:
- Good on you, GenZ and Millennials: you are earning more, saving more, and investing more than any young generation before, and we are grateful that you want to use your investment capital to make a better world. Yay!
- Data is our friend here at FWIW, and we celebrate that there is more data than ever before demonstrating that an environmental, social, and governance (ESG) focus is not only good for the world but also good for business and good for investor returns. Thank you, data!
- We celebrate the new generation of entrepreneurs helping to shape a brighter future with an innovative focus on climate, sustainability, and inclusion. They are building the next great companies of tomorrow. From fintech to edtech to green tech and more, we salute you!
- Who says investing can’t be fun AND rewarding? We love the number of easy on-ramps and platforms now available to help new investors get started on an investing journey.
- We give a nod to all those big companies and their leaders who made progress in their ESG journey this year. Yes, we all want perfection— but we are still celebrating your progress.
- We raise a glass to everyone fighting every day to overcome the barriers thrown in their way. We know that this can be frustrating, and we are thankful for your persistence and for everything you bring to the table in the startups you found, the companies you work at, the communities you anchor, and in the way you invest and use your capital.
- Purpose-driven companies were among some of the most celebrated IPOs this year, including Warby Parker, Sweetgreen, Rivian to name just a few. Grateful that the times, they are a-changin'.
- How great is it that there are more investment opportunities than ever before for those who care about using their capital to make a better world? Here at FWIW, we’re thankful, and we’ll keep you up to date as even more opportunities emerge.
With our attitude of gratitude, we’re giving thanks to YOU, our loyal readers! Happy Thanksgiving! (and, if you are looking for something to help with your holiday hot chocolate regime, check out the referral offer at the bottom of this newsletter!)
- Apple reportedly plans to sell an electric car with full self-driving capability by 2025. Can the company do for the auto industry what it did for smartphones in 2007? Wall Street thinks so. Meanwhile, all new homes in Britain will have EV chargers starting next year.
- The last two years have seen company ESG-related commitments on issues from equity to the environment. Most CEOs know investors and consumers are questioning the impact that companies have on society, and, as JUST Capital’s recent poll showed, the verdict is out for now as only 49% of Americans believe companies have a positive impact on society. We will be watching to see if some of the actions behind ESG commitments begin to restore faith.