Forwarded this email by a friend? Subscribe here.
Welcome to June!
It’s been a rough few weeks for the market and the world in general, and we hope you’re taking some healthy breaks from the news cycle. (No surprise that the hottest trend in podcasting is…waitforit... white noise.) The Fed’s fight with inflation and recession fears are weighing on the stock market, and consumer surveys say many Americans are tapping into their savings to cope with rising costs as their favorite snacks shrink.
Below we introduce a golden rule of money management that is especially relevant now. Also, don’t forget that the basics of investing do not fly out the window during hectic times. We’ll keep updating key resources that can help you as you start out on your values-aligned investing journey. Some that we’ve found particularly relevant (and grounding) over the past few weeks:
- Unpacking the ESG Alphabet Soup
- How to Research ESG Stocks and Funds
- Investing in Women: a Gender Lens Guide
- How to Practice Faith-Based Investing
- “Siri, What is a Recession?”
And when terms and acronyms pop up that make your eyes glaze over: our ever-growing glossary of common terms.
News you can use
- Americans will soon be able to add solar panels to their IKEA haul. The iconic Swedish retailer has partnered with SunPower Corp (SPWR) to offer home solar products so that buyers can generate their own renewable energy. A 2019 study found that solar energy systems can boost a home’s value by an average of 4.1%, thanks to the future energy cost savings.
- June is Pride month! It’s a celebration of the LGBTQ+ community and commemoration of their struggles, and we can expect the usual (sometimes cringe) marketing campaigns. Over 90% of Fortune 500 companies now explicitly include sexual orientation and gender identity in their non-discrimination policies. This figure was a mere 3% in 2002. You can see a full list of HRC’s Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality here.